Hey everyone! This is the first time I had ever attempted to make rainbow cake before so it was really exciting to see how it turned out. I got this recipe from Tanya Burr’s new recipe book ‘Tanya Bakes’ but I decided to have 4 layers instead of 7.
I really hope that you enjoy and feel free to give it a like and comment to let me know what you think!
- 384 g butter, softened
- 384 g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 384 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 food colourings (I am using red, orange, yellow & blue)
For the icing:
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- skittles / smarties
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line 4 cake tins – if you don’t have enough, you will have to make it in batches like I did.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, mix in the eggs and vanilla extract and finally add the flour and baking powder to form a smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture equally into 4 bowls and add a few drops of food colouring to each bowl until you have the 4 different shades you were after.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tins, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take the cake out of the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, cream the butter in a bowl and slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat together until smooth and light – you may want to do this in batches as there is quite a lot!
- Use half the icing to sandwich the cakes together, then use the rest to ice the cake, smoothing as you go. Decorate the cake however you like, I used skittles which I arranged neatly on the cake!
- Share with friends & family and enjoy!
This cake is super soft and delicious! You can be so flexible with how you want your cake to look like – with the colours the sponges are and how you want to decorate it!
I hope this blog brought a splash of happiness into your day and I’ll see you soon! Bye x